Background Check Requirement
- Per 10A NCAC 13P .0511(a) The criminal background histories for all individuals who apply for, seek to renew, or hold EMS credentials shall be reviewed pursuant to G.S. 131E-159(g).
- 131E-159. Credentialing requirements.
- An individual who applies for EMS credentials, seeks to renew EMS credentials, or holds EMS credentials is subject to a criminal background review by the Department. At the request of the Department, the Emergency Medical Services Disciplinary Committee, established by G.S. 143-519, shall review criminal background information and make a recommendation regarding the eligibility of an individual to obtain initial EMS credentials, renew EMS credentials, or maintain EMS credentials. The Department and the Emergency Medical Services Disciplinary Committee shall keep all information obtained pursuant to this subsection confidential. The Medical Care Commission shall adopt rules to implement the provisions of this subsection, including rules to establish a reasonable fee to offset the actual costs of criminal history information obtained pursuant to G.S. 143B-952.
- 10A NCAC 13P .0511(b) In addition to Paragraph (a) of this Rule, the OEMS shall carry out the following for all EMS Personnel whose primary residence is outside North Carolina, individuals who have resided in North Carolina for 60 months or less, and individuals under investigation by the OEMS who may be subject to administrative enforcement action by the Department under the provisions of Rule .1507 of this Subchapter:
- (1) obtain a signed consent form for a criminal history check;
- (2) obtain fingerprints on an SBI identification card or live scan electronic fingerprinting system at an agency approved by the North Carolina Department of Public Safety;
- (3) obtain the criminal history from the Department of Public Safety; and
- (4) collect any processing fees from the individual identified in Paragraph (a) or (b) of this Rule as required by the Department of Public Safety pursuant to G.S. 143B-952 prior to conducting the criminal history background check.